Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Support
  • MyRoute-app
Collapse
Brand Logo

MRA Community Forum

  1. Home
  2. MyRoute-app Routeplanner
  3. [Web] Suggestions and Discussion
  4. The web planner needs some love & development?

The web planner needs some love & development?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved [Web] Suggestions and Discussion
46 Posts 14 Posters 27.3k Views 5 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • TorqueRider TorqueRider

    @Jem-Cotton said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

    I would love to see some more active development in this area. Whilst making the app a slick proposition is no doubt enticing, for me the heart of MRA is in it's ability to plan complex routes and visualise them before riding.

    I completely agree with that.
    The best navigator still cannot make anything out of an incorrectly and bad planned route.

    TorqueRider
    TorqueRider
    TorqueRider
    wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @Jack-van-Tilburg

    @Jem-Cotton said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

    So ... does anyone have info on the web redevelopment project timescales

    Yes

    @Corjan-Meijerink said in I'm very happy with MRA but......:

    When the big 4.1.0 update is released for the app we will prioritise the coming months 🙂

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • TorqueRider TorqueRider

      @Jem-Cotton said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

      I would love to see some more active development in this area. Whilst making the app a slick proposition is no doubt enticing, for me the heart of MRA is in it's ability to plan complex routes and visualise them before riding.

      I completely agree with that.
      The best navigator still cannot make anything out of an incorrectly and bad planned route.

      Drabslab
      Drabslab
      Drabslab
      wrote on last edited by
      #42

      @Jack-van-Tilburg said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

      The best navigator still cannot make anything out of an incorrectly and bad planned route.

      Correct, for me it is all about expanding and integrating the MRA ecosystem

      We have seen a long process to improve the navigator, and maybe that process was TOO long putting to much time on trivial(?) things (while still struggling with core shortcomings (battery issue)). Maybe it was the only way possible considering that the previous navigator was outdated in many aspects.

      I would not like to see that this would be followed up by an equally long cycle for the planner.

      Instead, I am hoping for shorter sprints tackling one subject (POI, multi-map, ...) to the extend relevant in all parts of the eco system. This will prevent that one part grows totally outdated compared to the rest, and will give the users something new to play with very often.

      It is not difficult, it is easy, it's a hobby

      TorqueRider 1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • Drabslab Drabslab

        @Jack-van-Tilburg said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

        The best navigator still cannot make anything out of an incorrectly and bad planned route.

        Correct, for me it is all about expanding and integrating the MRA ecosystem

        We have seen a long process to improve the navigator, and maybe that process was TOO long putting to much time on trivial(?) things (while still struggling with core shortcomings (battery issue)). Maybe it was the only way possible considering that the previous navigator was outdated in many aspects.

        I would not like to see that this would be followed up by an equally long cycle for the planner.

        Instead, I am hoping for shorter sprints tackling one subject (POI, multi-map, ...) to the extend relevant in all parts of the eco system. This will prevent that one part grows totally outdated compared to the rest, and will give the users something new to play with very often.

        TorqueRider
        TorqueRider
        TorqueRider
        wrote on last edited by TorqueRider
        #43

        @Drabslab said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

        the eco system

        Yes, yes... who thinks all that is important?
        Isn't it so that the Planner is now also used by a lot of users with navigation devices other than MRA Navigation?
        And of course I understand that it seems fantastic that the Planner and MRA Navigation fit together well in a eco system. But they already do that in a way now, don't they? In a very useful way, right?
        And of course I now create beautiful routes with the Planner and am happy with the functions it offers. But there are many points that could be more beautiful, more intuitive and more convenient.
        If I had a choice then I would go to pick the low-hanging fruit.

        But my biggest wish?
        Make a plan and stick to the plan.

        Peter 3b Drabslab 2 Replies Last reply
        0
        • TorqueRider TorqueRider

          @Drabslab said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

          the eco system

          Yes, yes... who thinks all that is important?
          Isn't it so that the Planner is now also used by a lot of users with navigation devices other than MRA Navigation?
          And of course I understand that it seems fantastic that the Planner and MRA Navigation fit together well in a eco system. But they already do that in a way now, don't they? In a very useful way, right?
          And of course I now create beautiful routes with the Planner and am happy with the functions it offers. But there are many points that could be more beautiful, more intuitive and more convenient.
          If I had a choice then I would go to pick the low-hanging fruit.

          But my biggest wish?
          Make a plan and stick to the plan.

          Peter 3b
          Peter 3b
          Peter 3b
          wrote on last edited by Peter 3b
          #44

          @Jack-van-Tilburg @Drabslab

          TS here. I sure hit a nerve, I guess.

          Totally agree that a more agile approach would be desirable.

          But like Jack, I'm not sure that "integrating the MRA ecosystem" would be the best direction of travel. For me the GPX ecosystem is key. See my initial reply at the top of this thread. We need to support a variety of devices, tools & apps and better GPX support is the way to do that.

          Let's not forget that this is where MRA was first successful: a tool that let you plan routes which you could then export to Garmin, Tomtom, etc.

          (For comparison, take a look at gpx.studio, which I think was hacked together by a brilliant student to map his own "extreme running" - but which already has so much more depth in GPX handling than the MRA planner has today.)

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • TorqueRider
            TorqueRider
            TorqueRider
            wrote on last edited by TorqueRider
            #45

            @Peter-3b said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

            I sure hit a nerve

            Not just with @Drabslab and me I think.
            With 26 upvotes for your opening post it is the most highly rated post ever in my guess.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • TorqueRider TorqueRider

              @Drabslab said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

              the eco system

              Yes, yes... who thinks all that is important?
              Isn't it so that the Planner is now also used by a lot of users with navigation devices other than MRA Navigation?
              And of course I understand that it seems fantastic that the Planner and MRA Navigation fit together well in a eco system. But they already do that in a way now, don't they? In a very useful way, right?
              And of course I now create beautiful routes with the Planner and am happy with the functions it offers. But there are many points that could be more beautiful, more intuitive and more convenient.
              If I had a choice then I would go to pick the low-hanging fruit.

              But my biggest wish?
              Make a plan and stick to the plan.

              Drabslab
              Drabslab
              Drabslab
              wrote on last edited by Drabslab
              #46

              @Jack-van-Tilburg said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

              Make a plan and stick to the plan.

              YES

              I think we all mean more or less the same... with different words 🙂

              @Peter-3b said in The web planner needs some love & development?:

              We need to support a variety of devices, tools & apps and better GPX support is the way to do that.

              which are all part of the eco system in my book

              It is not difficult, it is easy, it's a hobby

              1 Reply Last reply
              1

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

              Register Login
              Reply
              • Reply as topic
              Log in to reply
              • Oldest to Newest
              • Newest to Oldest
              • Most Votes


              • 1
              • 2
              • 3
              ACTIVE USERS
              Con Hennekens
              Con Hennekens
              Corjan Meijerink
              Corjan Meijerink
              Drabslab
              Drabslab
              Brian McG
              Brian McG
              RetiredWingMan
              RetiredWingMan
              Hans van de Ven MR.MRA
              Hans van de Ven MR.MRA
              Stephen Rowland
              Stephen Rowland
              richtea999
              richtea999
              Don Stauffer
              Don Stauffer
              Peter 3b
              Peter 3b
              Richard 18
              Richard 18
              Vincent Curren
              Vincent Curren
              TorqueRider
              TorqueRider
              Jem Cotton
              Jem Cotton
              POPULAR TOPICS
              • [NL] MyRoute-app Routeplanner Next (Beta)
                Hubert Thoring
                Hubert Thoring
                5
                102
                4.1k

              • Points of interest
                Lluís Casals
                Lluís Casals
                0
                5
                89

              • Altitude numbers size
                Aiello antonino
                Aiello antonino
                0
                9
                262

              • Forum Discussions - Filter Languages
                Nick Carthew
                Nick Carthew
                1
                4
                73

              • [EN] MyRoute-app Routeplanner Next (Beta)
                Hubert Thoring
                Hubert Thoring
                9
                97
                4.1k

              • The "Route as Track" function is no longer working.
                Con Hennekens
                Con Hennekens
                0
                3
                76

              • Elektrisch voertuig
                Marinus van Deudekom
                Marinus van Deudekom
                0
                26
                954

              • Garmin Satnav vs MRA Navigation Next
                Peter Zehentreiter
                Peter Zehentreiter
                0
                7
                248

              MY GROUPS
              • Login

              • Login or register to search.
              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Categories
              • Recent
              • Popular
              • Support
              • MyRoute-app