Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Support
  • MyRoute-app
Collapse
Brand Logo

MRA Community Forum

  1. Home
  2. MyRoute-app Routeplanner
  3. [Web] Suggestions and Discussion
  4. How to import gpx - via Route or Route-Track?

How to import gpx - via Route or Route-Track?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved [Web] Suggestions and Discussion
16 Posts 6 Posters 548 Views 4 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • KaTo6668 KaTo6668

    @Con-Hennekens Thanks again for your fast reply.
    You're absolutely right; shaping points and via points define a route and are equivalent within the route definition.
    But beside of the route definition, they are not equivalent.

    A shaping point should simply defines the route's path. Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason. And since it’s really only meant to define the route’s path, there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting. That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

    A via point must or should be visited because it’s important to the planner for whatever reason (break, coffee, refueling, hotel, etc.).
    That’s why I asked about different icon sizes in the MRA Routeplanner - because they aren’t all equally important.

    And yes, maybe I sometimes use too many shaping points, but sometimes it’s necessary to define the exact route - and then things get confusing.
    But that’s just my opinion, and I’d love to learn more about the benefit why you can assign additional information to a shaping point in the MRA Routeplanner - information that, in my opinion, is only relevant for a via point.
    Even though I’m new to MRA and certainly don’t know many of its features yet, I really like the program 🙂

    Marinus van Deudekom
    Marinus van Deudekom
    Marinus van Deudekom
    RouteXpert
    wrote last edited by
    #7

    @KaTo6668 said:

    I’d love to learn more about the benefit why you can assign additional information to a shaping point in the MRA Routeplanner - information that, in my opinion, is only relevant for a via poin

    For instance if you want to add some spoken information about that shapingpoint, or the place where you've placed it. If you add tekst in the textfield of a shapingpoint that will be spoken, if you've activated that in your settings. Like "a beautifull statue on your right"

    Honda Goldwing GL1500,
    Honda Silverwing GL 650
    DMD2 T865X 8 inch Android tablet using MRA next for navigation
    Garmin XT sold
    Samsung S24FE mounted on a Quadlock and using Android Auto in my car

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • KaTo6668 KaTo6668

      @Con-Hennekens Thanks again for your fast reply.
      You're absolutely right; shaping points and via points define a route and are equivalent within the route definition.
      But beside of the route definition, they are not equivalent.

      A shaping point should simply defines the route's path. Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason. And since it’s really only meant to define the route’s path, there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting. That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

      A via point must or should be visited because it’s important to the planner for whatever reason (break, coffee, refueling, hotel, etc.).
      That’s why I asked about different icon sizes in the MRA Routeplanner - because they aren’t all equally important.

      And yes, maybe I sometimes use too many shaping points, but sometimes it’s necessary to define the exact route - and then things get confusing.
      But that’s just my opinion, and I’d love to learn more about the benefit why you can assign additional information to a shaping point in the MRA Routeplanner - information that, in my opinion, is only relevant for a via point.
      Even though I’m new to MRA and certainly don’t know many of its features yet, I really like the program 🙂

      Brian McG
      Brian McG
      Brian McG
      wrote last edited by
      #8

      @KaTo6668 I think having the shaping point appear in the upper right is excellent, for me it is really useful as I colour code my shaping points
      if there is some information about the road ahead I will colour code that shaping point pink & add text either into the point name or notes
      it could be something like "Warning tarmac end - road turns to gravel ahead" or "Warning sharp right bend after blind crest"
      seeing the colour coded point well in advance means I am well aware of the that a hazard is coming up ahead

      I don't want these points t be Via points as it is not necessary for me to pass them, but if I am on the correct path I would like the warning

      if your only interested in times/distances to Via points just toggle through the 3 settings of the large ETA button at the bottom centre of the screen

      BlackView BV7100, Android 12
      Navigate "Routes as Tracks" in Offline mode with Offline Maps
      No Wifi, no internet, no interruptions, works well

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • KaTo6668
        KaTo6668
        KaTo6668
        wrote last edited by
        #9

        @marinus-van-deudekom @brian-mcg
        Thanks for your input about how you use the additional shaping points features. Never thought about to use them that way and maybe never will, but I understand how you use them and what your benefit is. Right now for me the scenarios you mentioned are still via point topics. But maybe I get it when I use MRA longer 🙂

        Marinus van Deudekom 1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • KaTo6668 KaTo6668

          @marinus-van-deudekom @brian-mcg
          Thanks for your input about how you use the additional shaping points features. Never thought about to use them that way and maybe never will, but I understand how you use them and what your benefit is. Right now for me the scenarios you mentioned are still via point topics. But maybe I get it when I use MRA longer 🙂

          Marinus van Deudekom
          Marinus van Deudekom
          Marinus van Deudekom
          RouteXpert
          wrote last edited by
          #10

          @KaTo6668 I rarely color my shaping points. Just pointed out the possibility
          Have fun

          Honda Goldwing GL1500,
          Honda Silverwing GL 650
          DMD2 T865X 8 inch Android tablet using MRA next for navigation
          Garmin XT sold
          Samsung S24FE mounted on a Quadlock and using Android Auto in my car

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • KaTo6668 KaTo6668

            @Con-Hennekens Thanks again for your fast reply.
            You're absolutely right; shaping points and via points define a route and are equivalent within the route definition.
            But beside of the route definition, they are not equivalent.

            A shaping point should simply defines the route's path. Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason. And since it’s really only meant to define the route’s path, there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting. That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

            A via point must or should be visited because it’s important to the planner for whatever reason (break, coffee, refueling, hotel, etc.).
            That’s why I asked about different icon sizes in the MRA Routeplanner - because they aren’t all equally important.

            And yes, maybe I sometimes use too many shaping points, but sometimes it’s necessary to define the exact route - and then things get confusing.
            But that’s just my opinion, and I’d love to learn more about the benefit why you can assign additional information to a shaping point in the MRA Routeplanner - information that, in my opinion, is only relevant for a via point.
            Even though I’m new to MRA and certainly don’t know many of its features yet, I really like the program 🙂

            Con Hennekens
            Con Hennekens
            Con Hennekens
            Alpha tester
            wrote last edited by
            #11

            @KaTo6668, it's quite funny how you confess to be new to MRA but have nor problem telling them or me how shaping points should or should not work... 😉

            Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason.

            The reason is that it can be very helpful to add information to a route point, even if can be skipped automatically, why not?

            there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting.

            It IS the default setting... I am missing the point why that would be a problem.

            That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

            I think most users would get mad if it got dropped... Well, to be honest I think you should experience for yourself how MRA works. MRA is not trying to copy your previous method of navigation. Try to be a bit less biased towards that and just learn how MRA works. There are reasons for MRA to work like it does.

            I am just an enthusiastic MRA user, and hope you will be one too!

            Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the saddle.

            Check out RideSleepRepeat.eu, a biker community for sharing stays across Europe

            M. Schrijver 1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • Con Hennekens Con Hennekens

              @KaTo6668, it's quite funny how you confess to be new to MRA but have nor problem telling them or me how shaping points should or should not work... 😉

              Even though you can add additional information to it in the MRA Routeplanner (color/text/icon, etc.) - for whatever reason.

              The reason is that it can be very helpful to add information to a route point, even if can be skipped automatically, why not?

              there is a reason you can set the option in the MRA Navigator that it can be skipped automatically which -in my opinion- should be the default setting.

              It IS the default setting... I am missing the point why that would be a problem.

              That’s why I also don’t see a benefit why a shaping point appears at all during MRA navigation in the upper right corner.

              I think most users would get mad if it got dropped... Well, to be honest I think you should experience for yourself how MRA works. MRA is not trying to copy your previous method of navigation. Try to be a bit less biased towards that and just learn how MRA works. There are reasons for MRA to work like it does.

              M. Schrijver
              M. Schrijver
              M. Schrijver
              Valued contributor
              wrote last edited by
              #12

              @Con-Hennekens said:

              I think most users would get mad if it got dropped.

              I will organize a party when the blue shaping points are dropped in the navigation.
              I am glad i can put the same info to a shaping point as is possible with the Via Point. Because in my opinion Via points are the worst type of waypoints. I'se seen this on my last holdiay. Navigation on holidays gives enough food for discussion but due to the Via points in the routes some people almost dump their Zumo into the river.

              (I use MRA Next only on Android Auto. Every comment, suggestion, etc will be based on my usage with Android Auto)

              Con Hennekens 1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • M. Schrijver M. Schrijver

                @Con-Hennekens said:

                I think most users would get mad if it got dropped.

                I will organize a party when the blue shaping points are dropped in the navigation.
                I am glad i can put the same info to a shaping point as is possible with the Via Point. Because in my opinion Via points are the worst type of waypoints. I'se seen this on my last holdiay. Navigation on holidays gives enough food for discussion but due to the Via points in the routes some people almost dump their Zumo into the river.

                Con Hennekens
                Con Hennekens
                Con Hennekens
                Alpha tester
                wrote last edited by
                #13

                @M.-Schrijver, Your statements are rather contradictive. You would be glad to have no shaping points, but ARE glad you can add info to them... If so I would guess you would be happy about via points, but it makes you throw zumos into the river? That last thing is probably a good idea though 😉

                Shaping points are an important thing since they are not only used for shaping a route, but also to create entrypoints to the route, and deducting the closest one to start your route. Also if you want to skip a route point, you need a route point to skip to. I really do not understand some peoples thoughts about shaping points...

                I am just an enthusiastic MRA user, and hope you will be one too!

                Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the saddle.

                Check out RideSleepRepeat.eu, a biker community for sharing stays across Europe

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • M. Schrijver
                  M. Schrijver
                  M. Schrijver
                  Valued contributor
                  wrote last edited by M. Schrijver
                  #14

                  I referred to the blue shaping points. If i add info to them, in my case, they are not blue anymore. Because then they have a purpose now.
                  Viapoints are horrible and useless for one reason only. Autoskip does not work. The route is the journey. Not the points. No autoskip is why people on the journeys i was a part of, would through their zumo in the river (TomTom users use the track). The lack of autoskip confuses people enormous.

                  Use a track as the basis for a route and litteraly every random point on the route is an entrypoint for starting and re-joining. Auto-skipping is not and issue anymore. Roadworks can be integrated smoothly into the route when starting the route (or even when riding) without any strange sidestreet loops. And because the route is based on the track it is has by design a pretty fixed shape (map and creator depended).

                  Then put the interessting waypoints (so not the blue shaping point) as an info layer on top of the route, just like the speedcams and you have everything you need.

                  You don't understand peoples thoughts about shaping point. I cannot understand peoples urge to plan fuel-stops, coffe-stops, etc, add time for them also and use Viapoints for those stops. Just enjoy the ride and see what happens during the day. A day never goes as planned.

                  (I use MRA Next only on Android Auto. Every comment, suggestion, etc will be based on my usage with Android Auto)

                  Brian McG 1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • M. Schrijver M. Schrijver

                    I referred to the blue shaping points. If i add info to them, in my case, they are not blue anymore. Because then they have a purpose now.
                    Viapoints are horrible and useless for one reason only. Autoskip does not work. The route is the journey. Not the points. No autoskip is why people on the journeys i was a part of, would through their zumo in the river (TomTom users use the track). The lack of autoskip confuses people enormous.

                    Use a track as the basis for a route and litteraly every random point on the route is an entrypoint for starting and re-joining. Auto-skipping is not and issue anymore. Roadworks can be integrated smoothly into the route when starting the route (or even when riding) without any strange sidestreet loops. And because the route is based on the track it is has by design a pretty fixed shape (map and creator depended).

                    Then put the interessting waypoints (so not the blue shaping point) as an info layer on top of the route, just like the speedcams and you have everything you need.

                    You don't understand peoples thoughts about shaping point. I cannot understand peoples urge to plan fuel-stops, coffe-stops, etc, add time for them also and use Viapoints for those stops. Just enjoy the ride and see what happens during the day. A day never goes as planned.

                    Brian McG
                    Brian McG
                    Brian McG
                    wrote last edited by Brian McG
                    #15

                    @M.-Schrijver said:
                    A day never goes as planned.

                    Well that may because the planning is poor 😂

                    I agree with your point about using tracks to navigate, I loved my TomTom 410 as that was how that worked but that is also the beauty of MRA you can choose to ride as Route or Track

                    I cannot understand peoples urge to plan fuel-stops, coffe-stops, etc, add time for them also and use Viapoints for those stops. Just enjoy the ride and see what happens during the day.

                    This would be a YOU problem, with only 130 miles fuel range on a sports bike you HAVE to know where the next fuel is when you plan to visit the more interesting out of the way places, avoiding the towns & people so you can have fun.😃
                    Likewise in these sparsely populated areas, restaurants & cafes are also few & far between, if you don't plan them your going hungry & thirsty
                    Serendipity is wonderful when your riding solo, not so great when you have friends pillions desperate for facilities 😂

                    We all do it different, the fact MRA allows this is IMO great, I would hate we all have to do it the same

                    BlackView BV7100, Android 12
                    Navigate "Routes as Tracks" in Offline mode with Offline Maps
                    No Wifi, no internet, no interruptions, works well

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    1
                    • M. Schrijver
                      M. Schrijver
                      M. Schrijver
                      Valued contributor
                      wrote last edited by
                      #16

                      I plan nothing only the shape of the route. So my planning cannot be poor.

                      For a few years i had also had a bike with a 130 miles real range before the reserves light kicks in. At that time i used the Rider400. Which has a perfect indication for gasstations. I trusted and still trust TomTom info for gasstations for 100%. Even if my reserve light is already on. I am not afraid to pass a gasstation if TomTom tells me there is another one in 5 km's. And a second one shortly after that one. It never lets me down even after 80.000-90.000 km TomTom usage. Sure it shows gasstions not in use. But every navigation app/device has this problem.

                      I don't know where you're from but my 100.000 km of travels in Europe learned me there are enough places to stop for personal needs. Even in de remote area's of Norway and Scotland. I expect from my friends and pillion that they can ride at least 90 mins between stops. So no planned stops are neseccary for me.

                      And yes, I agree. It nice MRA offers this functionality. But the simple basic is already to complicated. You see this in this topic but also in many others topics. Planning is something you need to learn. The MRA planner is not that complicated But navigation needs to be as simple as possible. There are much more who use a navigation than people who use a planner to plan routes.

                      (I use MRA Next only on Android Auto. Every comment, suggestion, etc will be based on my usage with Android Auto)

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      Reply
                      • Reply as topic
                      Log in to reply
                      • Oldest to Newest
                      • Newest to Oldest
                      • Most Votes


                      ACTIVE USERS
                      M. Schrijver
                      M. Schrijver
                      Brian McG
                      Brian McG
                      Con Hennekens
                      Con Hennekens
                      Marinus van Deudekom
                      Marinus van Deudekom
                      KaTo6668
                      KaTo6668
                      martin-phogel.de
                      martin-phogel.de
                      POPULAR TOPICS
                      • Waarom kan deze route niet berekend worden?
                        M. Schrijver
                        M. Schrijver
                        0
                        20
                        378

                      • How to import gpx - via Route or Route-Track?
                        M. Schrijver
                        M. Schrijver
                        0
                        16
                        548

                      • How to plan correctly
                        Erdna
                        Erdna
                        0
                        13
                        430

                      • A02 Routes en tracks kopiëren - Oude webplanner naar nieuwe webplanner
                        Hubert Thori
                        Hubert Thori
                        0
                        6
                        15

                      • [EN] MyRoute-app Routeplanner Next (Beta)
                        LE DIZES Freddy
                        LE DIZES Freddy
                        9
                        104
                        7.4k

                      • test Myroute APP
                        Con Hennekens
                        Con Hennekens
                        4
                        20
                        1.7k

                      • Tour results and a question
                        Con Hennekens
                        Con Hennekens
                        0
                        4
                        35

                      • Route name in the planning screen is gone?
                        LennyO
                        LennyO
                        0
                        3
                        8

                      MY GROUPS
                      • Login

                      • Login or register to search.
                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Categories
                      • Recent
                      • Popular
                      • Support
                      • MyRoute-app